This package contains course materials for an introductory analog and digital communications systems course taught to undergraduate electrical and computer engineering students. An integral part of the course design is a series of laboratory modules through which students explore course topics using low-cost SDR hardware (e.g., RTL-SDR or ADALM-PLUTO) and MATLAB/Simulink software tools. Using these laboratory exercises, students implement various communication systems and investigate real-world communication signals.
The download package includes complete Laboratory documentation, as well as additional Simulink models and MATLAB scripts for use in lecture sessions.
Topic 1: Introduction to Communication Systems
- Introduction to Software-Defined Radio
- RTL-SDR and ADALM-PLUTO Installations
- Spectrum Analyzer using SDR
Topic 2: Amplitude Modulation
- Observing Amplitude Modulated Waveforms using SDR
- QAM Transceiver Simulation
- DSB Large Carrier Receiver using SDR
- DSB Large Carrier Transmitter using SDR
Topic 3: Frequency Modulation
- Investigating Broadcast FM Radio Signals using SDR
- Passband FM Modulator Simulation
- Baseband FM Communication System Simulation
- Observing and Demodulation FM Waveforms using SDR
- Automatic Picture Transmission (APT) Receiver using SDR
Topic 4: Digital Communication
- Observing Digital Carrier Modulated Waveforms using SDR
- Bit Error Rate Simulation
- BSPK Receiver: Carrier Synchronization and Symbol Timing Recovery using SDR
- DBPSK Communication using SDR
Topic 5: Spread Spectrum Communications
- DSSS Simulation
- Code Division Multiplexing Simulation
- DSSS BPSK Communication using SDR
Topic 6: Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing
- Multicarrier Communications Simulation
- FFT Processing for OFDM Modulation and Demodulation
- IEEE 802.11a WiFi Waveforms
Cory Prust (2021). Introductory Communication Systems Course Using SDR (https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/69417-introductory-communication-systems-course-using-sdr), MATLAB Central File Exchange. Retrieved .
The ADLAM-Pluto is mentioned and set up in the first lab but then disappears from the rest of the labs. It would be helpful if the Pluto can be used as a transmitter (cheaper than USRP).
Thank you very much.
Request: For the examples that transmit using a USRP , please include the setup for the ADLAM-Pluto.
The ADLAM-Pluto is less costly.
Thank your for the submission. I have ADLAM-Pluto however lab02 does not have the model for the ADALM-Pluto. It has teh model for RTL-SDR. any help is appreciated.
I am having problems with Lab1. the model runs but I am not getting the fc on the analyzer. any help is appreciated. Also lab2 for the AM signal, there is no model for generating AM signal
Find the treasures in MATLAB Central and discover how the community can help you!Start Hunting!