DO-178 Certification Advisory Service
MathWorks Consulting Services works with you to migrate your existing software development process—whether based on manual methods or Model-Based Design—to one that uses Model-Based Design for DO-178. Customized to your specific environment, tools, and application, the DO-178 Certification Advisory Service will identify gaps in your current processes, develop a road map to an optimized workflow for DO-178 using Model-Based Design, and work with you to deploy that road map. MathWorks Consulting Services prepares you to perform key modeling, code generation, and tool qualification activities to achieve the new objectives of DO-178C and its supplemental documents DO-330 (Software Tool Qualification Considerations), DO-331 (Model-Based Development and Verification) and DO-333 (Formal Methods).
The DO-178 Certification Service is delivered by senior-level MathWorks Consultants with knowledge gained from years of developing high-integrity software in collaboration with customers in the aerospace industry. MathWorks Consulting Services helps organizations avoid common mistakes and reduce the time, effort, and cost to develop high-integrity software that satisfies DO-178 objectives.
MathWorks Consulting Services works with you to:
Perform key activities to comply with DO-178
- Requirements traceability
- Requirements-based testing and coverage of models
- Model standards checking using Simulink Model Advisor
- Code reviews, traceability, and analysis using Simulink Code Inspector™ and Polyspace® products
- Test case generation and design analysis using Simulink Design Verifier™
- Tool configuration and code generation using Embedded Coder®
- On-target testing of algorithms using processor-in-the-loop, including code coverage analysis (e.g., MC/DC)
- Tool qualification using the DO Qualification Kit (for DO-178)
- Generation of process artifacts needed for DO-178 compliance
Plan and execute
- Transform your company’s existing software development process while gaining efficiency improvements
- Identify and execute a phased approach to achieving efficiency gains
Train your team
- Learn how to apply and fully leverage Model-Based Design to maximize benefits and satisfy objectives in DO-178 and its supplements
- Become self-sufficient by building a center of expertise for Model-Based Design
The migration strategy to an optimized software development process that uses Model-Based Design in a workflow for DO-178 varies by company and application. MathWorks Consulting Services draws on product expertise and industry background to tailor the process to best fit your needs. Steps may include:
- Evaluation of Existing Processes and Tools — MathWorks Consultants review your current software development process, tools, application, required safety levels (A-E), and planning documents, including tool qualification.
- Gap Analysis — Our Consultants perform a gap analysis to identify current challenges, process efficiency improvements, training, and other recommendations for migrating to a DO-178 process framework using Model-Based Design. We develop an actionable road map that includes a phased approach to achieve the recommended improvements.
- Knowledge Transfer — We provide instruction to show how Model-Based Design and its supporting toolchain can be applied to satisfy objectives in DO-178 and its supplements, highlighting best practices distilled from years of experience. Topics might include how to perform verification activities using specific tool capabilities and deeper instruction of topics based on a list of prioritized needs.
- Hands-On Deployment Support — MathWorks Consultants support implementation of the recommended process to a specific project. We assist with modeling, simulation, code generation, verification, validation, customization of the DO Qualification Kit, and certification activities. We help with preparation of DO planning documents, such as the PSAC, in the context of using Model-Based Design and generating DO-178 tool qualification artifacts by tailoring the DO Qualification Kit.
Contact MathWorks Consulting Services to discuss your specific requirements.
Raymond Estrada is a senior technical consultant with extensive industry experience in guidance, navigation and controls, and code generation for use in an HIL environment. He specializes in helping organizations apply Model-Based Design to develop and deploy embedded software for high-integrity applications that comply with safety standards. Raymond holds a B.S. in aeronautics and astronautics engineering from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and an M.S. in aerospace engineering from the University of California, Los Angeles.