Aircraft Intuitive Design (AID)
Updated 6 Apr 2018
By interfacing user-friendly aircraft modeling with rapid aerodynamic analysis, this program visually depicts how various design parameters affect the way an airplane flies. A video demonstrating some of the code's capabilities can be found on the MathWorks website at https://www.mathworks.com/videos/matlab-and-simulink-robotics-arena-building-interactive-design-tools-1509569729395.html.
In addition to built-in, linearized stability approximations that are updated every time the aircraft model is adjusted, the program interfaces with the following software for more advanced analysis:
• Digital DATCOM – U.S. Air Force
• Tornado Vortex Lattice Method – Tomas Melin (KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
• AVL (Athena Vortex Lattice Method) – Mark Drela and Harold Youngren (MIT)
This program also gains added functionality from the following open source software:
• DATCOM Plot Interpolation Functions – Prof. Glenn Greiner and Lenny Gartenberg (ERAU, Daytona Beach, FL)
• AVL Input/Output Functions – Joseph Moster (Mathworks File Exchange)
• Datcomimport – MathWorks Aerospace Toolbox – loads DATCOM "for006.dat" file
• NACA456 – Ralph Carmichael (PDAS) – calculates NACA 6-series airfoil ordinates
Please refer to the documentation for information regarding how to use the program (Help > User's Manual)
Zak Lietzau (2023). Aircraft Intuitive Design (AID) (https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/66770-aircraft-intuitive-design-aid), MATLAB Central File Exchange. Retrieved .
MATLAB Release Compatibility
Platform CompatibilityWindows macOS Linux
Community Treasure Hunt
Find the treasures in MATLAB Central and discover how the community can help you!Start Hunting!
Discover Live Editor
Create scripts with code, output, and formatted text in a single executable document.