Wind turbulence in the neutral and unstable surface-layer
Updated 31 Oct 2019
A meteorological tower with 3 sonic anemometers at 3 different heights is "simulated" and 4 samples corresponding to both neutral and unstable atmospheric stratifications are provided for each height.
The goal is to use the eddy-covariance method to retrieve the different turbulence statistics and the associated flux of momentum and heat in the surface layer.
The submission contains
• 4 .mat files with the different samples (simulated time series)
• One example file Example.mlx
• The functions “verticalSpectrum_Hojstrup” and “longitudinalSpectrum_Hojstrup” to compute the spectral model from Højstrup .
• The function “getStability” to estimate the Obukhov length, the heat flux, the scaling temperature and friction velocity.
• The function “obukhovLength” to compute the Obukhov length.
• The function “similarityFun” to get the non-dimensional vertical profile of heat and momentum.
• The functions “plotSimilarityFun” and “plotVelocitySpectra” to plot more clearly the velocity spectra and the non-dimensional profiles
Any comments or suggestion to improve this submission is warmly welcomed.
 Højstrup, J. (1981). A simple model for the adjustment of velocity spectra in unstable conditions downstream of an abrupt change in roughness and heat flux. Boundary-Layer Meteorology, 21(3), 341-356.
E. Cheynet (2023). Wind turbulence in the neutral and unstable surface-layer (https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/63355-wind-turbulence-in-the-neutral-and-unstable-surface-layer), MATLAB Central File Exchange. Retrieved .
MATLAB Release Compatibility
Platform CompatibilityWindows macOS Linux
Inspired: Buffeting response of a suspension bridge (time domain)
Community Treasure Hunt
Find the treasures in MATLAB Central and discover how the community can help you!Start Hunting!
Discover Live Editor
Create scripts with code, output, and formatted text in a single executable document.
The example file has been converted into an interactive example
Added project website
Correct version loaded