Wind turbulence generation using text-based input files
For a more robust and time-efficient Matlab implementation, see https://se.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/68632-wind-field-simulation-the-fast-version.
A method to simulate spatially correlated turbulent wind histories is implemented following [1,2]. Two possible vertical wind profiles and two possible wind spectra are implemented. The user is free to implement new ones. The wind co-coherence is a simple exponential decay as done by Davenport . If the wind field is simulated in a grid, the function windSim.m should be used (cf. Examples 1 and 2). For a more complex geometry, such as a radial grid, the function windSim.m has an optional parameter to include two inputs (cf. Example3.mlx): The first one contains the wind properties, and the second one contains the coordinates of the nodes where wind histories are simulated (cf. Example 3).
The folder windSim.zip contains:
- 1 input file INPUT.txt for Example1.m
- 1 input file INPUT_MAST.txt for Example2.m
- 2 input files windData.txt and circle.txt for Example3.m
- The function windSim.m
- 4 examples files Example1.m, Example2.m, Example3.m and Example4.m
- The function coherence.m that computes the co-coherence. Notes:
- Simulating the wind field in a high number of points with a high sampling frequency may take a lot of time.
- This code aims to be highly customizable
- A faster version of the present submission has been used to simulate the turbulent wind load on a floating suspension bridge .
 Shinozuka, M., Monte Carlo solution of structural dynamics, Computers and Structures, Vol. 2, 1972, pp. 855 – 874
 Deodatis, G., Simulation of ergodic multivariate stochastic processes, Journal of Engineering Mechanics, ASCE, Vol. 122 No. 8, 1996, pp. 778 – 787.
 Davenport, A. G. (1961), The spectrum of horizontal gustiness near the ground in high winds. Q.J.R. Meteorol. Soc., 87: 194–211
 Wang, J., Cheynet, E., Snæbjörnsson, J. Þ., & Jakobsen, J. B. (2018). Coupled aerodynamic and hydrodynamic response of a long span bridge suspended from floating towers. Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics, 177, 19-31.
Cheynet, E. Wind Field Simulation (Text-Based Input). Zenodo, 2020, doi:10.5281/ZENODO.3823864.
MATLAB Release Compatibility
Platform CompatibilityWindows macOS Linux
Community Treasure Hunt
Find the treasures in MATLAB Central and discover how the community can help you!Start Hunting!
See release notes for this release on GitHub: https://github.com/ECheynet/windSim_textBased/releases/tag/v7.5.3
See release notes for this release on GitHub: https://github.com/ECheynet/windSim_textBased/releases/tag/v7.5.2
See release notes for this release on GitHub: https://github.com/ECheynet/windSim_textBased/releases/tag/v7.5.1
See release notes for this release on GitHub: https://github.com/ECheynet/windSim_textBased/releases/tag/v7.5.0
See release notes for this release on GitHub: https://github.com/ECheynet/windSim_textBased/releases/tag/v7.4.9
See release notes for this release on GitHub: https://github.com/ECheynet/windSim_textBased/releases/tag/v7.4.8
See release notes for this release on GitHub: https://github.com/ECheynet/windSim_textBased/releases/tag/v7.4.7
See release notes for this release on GitHub: https://github.com/ECheynet/windSim_textBased/releases/tag/v7.4.6
See release notes for this release on GitHub: https://github.com/ECheynet/windSim_textBased/releases/tag/v7.4.5
description in the txt files
performance improved using the IFFT (same method as in windSim - the fast version)
Added the project website
The example files have been re-written as live-script
Updated the title
Major update: The standard deviation of the wind fluctuations is now asked in the input files instead of the turbulence intensity. This offers a more realistic simulation, where the turbulence intensity decreases for increasing mean wind velocities.
- new Example, and updated description
- Updated example (need 90 sec to run instead of 2-3 sec ) but it is more complete
- update following @Paolo's feedback
- I have replaced the name of the function 'cohere' with 'coherence' since 'cohere' is a Matlab function that already exist.
HTML example introduced + update: one single function to run the whole simulation
- included verification.m for a preview of the output ( spectra and time series)
- A description of the output of the simulation is included at the end of the .m file "Run_Me"
- description updated