The next evolution of the MATLAB desktop is in Beta development. Try out a preview of MATLAB dark theme, the desktop layout sidebar and search capabilities, figure toolstrip, and more!
Please report feedback and issues directly to the development teams by using the feedback button in the MATLAB toolstrip.
What's new in R2023b update 3
- Apps Dark Theme - Dark theme support by configuring a new Theme property on UI figure.
- Graphics Dark Theme - Dark theme support introduced for your plots and charts.
- Individual figures can be configured using the new figure Theme property:
fig.Theme = "light"; %or
fig.Theme = "dark";
- Configurable Graphics Theme - Use a setting to choose a specific theme (light or dark) for figures, independent from the desktop theme:
s = settings;
s.matlab.appearance.figure.GraphicsTheme.TemporaryValue= 'light'; % Can be set to auto (default), light, or dark
- Preserved Desktop Layout - MATLAB window location size and undocked Editor state are now restored on startup.
- Performance Improvements
- Scatter Plots - Improved responsiveness for scatter plot interactions using (".") point markers for plots with 1 million or more points.
- Zooming in Plots - Graphics zooming using a multi-touch trackpad or mouse results in a smoother experience.
- Panning Graphics Objects - Panning a plot containing ConstantLine or ConstantRegion objects is smoother and no longer shows blank areas when panning outside of the original axes limits.
What's new in R2023a / R2022b
- Desktop Dark Theme - Change the colors of the desktop by selecting a dark theme.
- Updated Desktop Layout - Quickly access tools and change your layout using the sidebar.
- Expanded Search Capabilities - Easily find actions, settings, and resources using the new universal search box.
- Figure Toolstrip - Use the new figure toolstrip to modify annotations, text, and line styles easily, and view generated code.
- Keyboard and Screen Reader Accessibility - Use a screen reader to interact with the Command Window, Editor and desktop tools.
- Enhanced MATLAB Projects Workflows - Collaborate using an improved user interface, manage multiple repositories using the Branch Manager, and investigate project hierarchies using the new Dependency Analyzer view.
- Performance is a major area of focus, and we're working hard on enhancing it. This includes desktop and UI interaction, graphics, workspace browser, variable editor, and more.
- App Designer does not support dark theme. Opening apps in App Designer will cause apps to display with partial theming or generate code with color values.
- Simulink does not support dark theme yet.
- Live Editor figure-outputs still maintain a white background in dark theme.
- Printing and some plotting functions are not fully supported in the dark theme.
- The "Group by" function in Files temporarily groups by file extension.
- Icons for non-MATLAB artifacts in Files are temporarily unavailable.
- Command History, Keyboard shortcuts, Favorites and Quick Access Toolbar Controls are not transferred to the New Desktop yet.
- Currently, apps that use the javacomponent function are not supported. We're working on this.
MATLAB Release Compatibility
Created with R2023a
Compatible with R2023a to R2024a
Platform CompatibilityWindows macOS (Apple silicon) macOS (Intel) Linux
Community Treasure Hunt
Find the treasures in MATLAB Central and discover how the community can help you!Start Hunting!