Excavator Design with Simscape
Version 22.214.171.124 (17.4 MB) by Steve Miller
Design an excavator. Define pin locations, calculate BOF and TOF, produce load charts, and simulate dig cycles.
Updated 5 May 2023
This example models an excavator with hydraulic actuation of the swing motor and cylinders for the boom, stick and bucket. A MATLAB App enables you to explore the mechanical and hydraulic design space to calculate digging and lifting forces according to international standards.
- Pin locations can be adjusted in Excel or in the app.
- Digging forces (BOF/TOF) are calculated according to ISO 6015:2016.
- Pin loads are calculated for BOF, TOF, and lift capacity tests.
- Load charts are determined at a range of arm positions.
- Relief pressure thresholds can be analyzed for each function and the pumps.
- Hydraulic regeneration valves are modeled to evaluate efficiency.
- Dig cycle time and efficiency are determined in dynamic simulation.
- Realistic soil loads are applied to the bucket using Discrete Element Modeling (DEM) software.
Open the project file Excavator.prj to get started.
Use the "Download" button above to get files compatible with the latest release of MATLAB.
Use the links below to get files compatible with earlier releases of MATLAB.
- For R2023a: Use Download button above
- For R2022b: https://github.com/mathworks/Excavator-Design-Simscape/archive/126.96.36.199.zip
- For R2022a: https://github.com/mathworks/Excavator-Design-Simscape/archive/188.8.131.52.zip
Excavator Dig Cycle Animation Clip